you're reading...

Biblical Names

Ethan

Pronunciation: EE-than
Origin of name: Hebrew
Meaning of name: Enduring, strong

The Story Behind This Baby Name

Ethan was the name of several minor Old Testament Israelite characters briefly mentioned in various genealogies:

• a great-grandson of Jacob, grandson of Judah, father of Azariah
  • a Kohathite descendant of Levi
  • a Merarite son of Kushaiah, descendant of Levi

The most notable of the brief mentions is “Ethan, the Ezrahite,” son of Kushaiah. When the Bible describes the wisdom of Solomon, it says he was wiser than all men, even Ethan the Ezrahite. This Ethan was a singer at King David’s court well known for his wisdom. Also, Ethan the Ezrahite is credited as the author of Psalm 89!

Scriptures for the Bible Stories of the Boy Name Ethan

Variations of the baby name Ethan

Boy names: Eitan
Girl names: None

We hope this baby name information is useful to you. Contact us if you have a request for the Bible stories about a particular name. If you like this resource, tell your friends about the Christian Meaning of Names website, or link to us at www.ChristianMeaningOfNames.com!

Discussion

14 Responses to “Ethan”

1. I’m glad I found this web

Posted by Alexander | September 12, 2009, 6:47 pm
  2. my son is called Ethan

Posted by mutesa | May 22, 2011, 4:36 am
  3. We named our son, its a lovely name with great meaning. Thanks for the good work

Posted by Chris | October 8, 2011, 12:16 am
  4. We selected this name for our son before he was born, and before we knew he has Down syndrome and many medical issues. We didn’t realize at the time God led us to this name to give us faith and remind us daily of his strength and determination!

Posted by Colleen | October 9, 2011, 1:32 pm
  5. Wow, Colleen! Thank you for sharing your story. Names can be so powerful and meaningful, and that’s a great example!

Posted by bookworm | October 10, 2011, 10:00 am
  6. Little did we know the powerful meaning of Ethan. We gave our son Ethan before he was born. His mum stayed in labor for 38 hours and her first pregnancy. The baby became stressed and the mother too. Ended up c. Section. The baby cried only once and endured a lot medication for two weeks in the hospital. He is now doing great n cries. To God be the glory. Born on 15/10/2011.

Posted by George | February 9, 2012, 12:56 pm
  7. Thank u so much! Through your help we made a good choice of the name “ETHAN”, he was born on 24th July this year from Dr Ambrosoli memorial Hospital Kalongo, the mother is Babra Aceng, we shall always feel strong & enduring! May GOD bless u!

Posted by Boniface Omoro | August 6, 2016, 5:29 pm
  8. The right name for my son his name is Ethan born on 8th August this year

Posted by nila | September 12, 2016, 2:49 am
  9. am going to name my brothers son Ethan as l was pointed to look for the name and l feel proud for it thanks!

Posted by kusiimakwe doreen | October 11, 2016, 1:56 am
  10. Thank u for helping me get such a wonderful name for my son (Ethan). He was born on 25th december this year. May God richly bless u.

Posted by edwin | December 15, 2016, 3:27 am
  11. my nameis ethan and my middle name is levi

Posted by ethan | January 11, 2017, 6:38 am
  12. After 7years of waiting God showed us mercy and gave my family a boy. I was inspired by psalm 89 to name him Ethan. To make it more beautiful I added my native name to make it Ethan-Ekpenyong. The name has a strong meaning.

Posted by Israel | January 29, 2017, 1:03 am
  13. Hi thanks for the meaning of the name Ethan,we named our son Ethan,and he truely has the traits and characters of this name.he is making two in march and such a lovely, strong, brilliant boy.we love him alot coz he endures lots of time.
    God bless u all.
    Charity becky

Posted by Charity Becky | February 21, 2017, 11:28 pm
  14. My husband and I named our son “Ethan” and before we did, the meaning struct us because it was what we were looking for. I love the name and I am glad that I have my own, strong and firm Ethan. Thank you.

Posted by Arlene Shivlochan | April 25, 2017, 6:36 pm

Recent Comments

Naming Your Baby

Choosing a name for your baby is a great privilege and an exciting part of the pregnancy and birth process. New parents have many hopes for their children, and Christian parents especially tend to consider biblical names for their meaning and heritage. We hope you'll find something on this site that inspires you and helps you in the name selection process. A biblical Christian name is a gift you can give your baby that will last a lifetime!