you're reading...

Historical Christian Names

Katherine

Name pronunciation: KATH-eh-rin or KATH-rin
Origin of name: Greek
Meaning of name: pure, clean, chaste

The Story Behind This Historical Christian Name

There are not actually any characters in the Bible named Katherine. However, the name has a rich Christian historical heritage, and likely originated with the Greek word “katharos”, which was translated as “pure” or “clean” in the New Testament.

Several Catherine’s through the ages have been sainted, including:

Some Scriptures for the Greek Word Katharos

To give you an idea of the way this Greek word was used, here are some examples of its use in the scriptural context:

• “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.” – Matthew 5:8
  • “Now you are clean through the word that I have spoken to you.” – John 15:3
  • “Now to the pure all things are pure…” – Titus 1:15 (partial)
  • Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.” – James 1:27
  • “And to her it was granted to be arrayed in fine linen, clean and bright, for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints.” – Revelation 19:8
  • “And he showed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding from the throne of God and of the Lamb.” – Revelation 22:1

Variations of the Baby Name Katherine

Girl names: Catherine, Kate, Katie, Kathereen, Kathleen, Kathy, Ekaterina, Ekaterin, Cat, Kitty
Boy names: Kata

We hope this baby name information is useful to you. If you like this resource, tell your friends about the Christian Meaning of Names website, or link to us at www.ChristianMeaningOfNames.com!

Discussion

8 Responses to “Katherine”

1. Christian meaning of name “Jacquelle”

Thanks!

Gwendolyn R. Sewell

Posted by Gwendolyn | June 17, 2011, 8:03 am
  2. Gwendolyn, see our post on Jacob. I suspect that Jacquelle is related to “Jacqueline” which seems to come from Jacques, which comes from James, which comes from Jacob. 🙂

Posted by bookworm | September 2, 2011, 4:19 pm
  3. Hello

Could you post the Christian meaning of the name “Keira”please?

Bernard

Posted by Bernard | January 8, 2015, 11:22 pm
  4. Bernard, thank you for your query! Keira isn’t a name that shows up in the Bible, but it does have some Christian history to it. The name is Irish, coming from the original “Ciarán” (boy name), which in Irish Gaelic it means “dark” or “dark-haired”. There is a female Catholic saint named Ciara who lived in the seventh-century. — Sources: Wikipedia “Keira” and “Ciara”.

Posted by Names Bookworm | January 12, 2015, 12:17 pm
  5. I am very happy in knew the meaning of my name.In accordance with the meaning of my name, as much as possible I will try to lead a pure and clean life that will be a model for the individuals surrounding me.

Posted by Catherine Francis | February 23, 2016, 3:47 am
  6. Am so happy because now i have understood the meaning of my wife’s meaning.Infact she is pure.Thank you.

Posted by Kayiranga Godwin | July 20, 2016, 3:08 am
  7. i feel pleasured for my name meaning.

Posted by Catherine mutuku | August 15, 2016, 6:07 am
  8. Am Happy To Know My Name Is Pure And I Will Live Pure Life By Catherine Mordzifa

Posted by Catherine Mordzifa | February 27, 2017, 1:54 pm

Recent Comments

Naming Your Baby

Choosing a name for your baby is a great privilege and an exciting part of the pregnancy and birth process. New parents have many hopes for their children, and Christian parents especially tend to consider biblical names for their meaning and heritage. We hope you'll find something on this site that inspires you and helps you in the name selection process. A biblical Christian name is a gift you can give your baby that will last a lifetime!