Origin of name: Hebrew
Meaning of name: Enduring, strong
The Story Behind This Baby Name
Ethan was the name of several minor Old Testament Israelite characters briefly mentioned in various genealogies:
- a great-grandson of Jacob, grandson of Judah, father of Azariah
- a Kohathite descendant of Levi
- a Merarite son of Kushaiah, descendant of Levi
The most notable of the brief mentions is “Ethan, the Ezrahite,” son of Kushaiah. When the Bible describes the wisdom of Solomon, it says he was wiser than all men, even Ethan the Ezrahite. This Ethan was a singer at King David’s court well known for his wisdom. Also, Ethan the Ezrahite is credited as the author of Psalm 89!
Scriptures for the Bible Stories of the Boy Name Ethan
- 1 Kings 4:30-31 (scroll down to verse 30)
- 1 Chronicles 2:6, 8; 6:42, 44; 15:19 (scroll down to the specified verse)
- Psalm 89
Variations of the baby name Ethan
Boy names: Eitan
Girl names: None
We hope this baby name information is useful to you. Contact us if you have a request for the Bible stories about a particular name. If you like this resource, tell your friends about the Christian Meaning of Names website, or link to us at www.ChristianMeaningOfNames.com!